Here's another one for the groaning bookshelves: Volume 3 of Howard Williamson's The Great War Medal Collectors Companion. Well-produced, lavishly illustrated and a treasure-trove of information form a well-respected author who lives and breathes medals and militaria. He's also a personal friend and an all-round jolly good egg.
Inside this Volume 3 of The Great War Medal Collectors' Companion you will find:
- A short history of the 76 British Army Divisions (plus Cavalry and Guards Divisions) alongside the dates and Battles in which they were engaged
- Locations of British Regiments showing the locations of each battalion of the Line Regiments (plus Guards, Cavalry and Yeomanry Units) throughout the War. Each entry gives Brigade and Division and date of entry to the theatres of war. All changes of Brigade, Division and Theatre of War are noted
- The OMRS Gold Medal Winning study of the Royal Engineer Units in the Great War. This includes locations, dates, battle honours, refined regimental numbers from Volume II, general duties and many contemporary photographs.
- A study of the Machine Gun Corps in the Great War. It gives all unit locations and the Brigade and Division attached. In addition, there are a number of photographs and a section on the equipment and tactics employed. Awarded OMRS Silver Medal 2014.
- A study of the Army Cyclist Corps in the Great War covering notes on their units, equipment and duties. This study was awarded an OMRS Silver Medal at the 2014 Convention.