This long awaited second volume in Howard Williamson’s Great War Medal Collectors Companion series is now completed and ready for publication. Sales of Volume I are currently standing at [approximately] 3400. It has been decided that the print run for Volume II will only number around 2000 so early ordering is highly recommended. In has become clear that the vast amount of information gathered for Volume II would take more than one volume to print, so it was decided to split the work into two Volumes. Please Note chapter and page numbering continues sequentially with each Volume.
Volume II begins with Chapter 6 on page 572. The contents of Volume II are as follows:
FIRST CHAPTER [Chapter 6] A STUDY OF THE REGIMENTAL NUMBERS OF THE BRITISH ARMY AND DOMINION FORCES DURING THE GREAT WAR [Awarded OMRS Silver Medal 2013]
This incredible study comprises 200 pages packed with information on the regimental numbers and prefixes allocated to the Soldiers of the Great War. For the section on Line Regiments, the Author collaborated closely with Paul Nixon, whose research on Regimental Numbers provided much additional information to that compiled by the Author. The Territorial re-numberings of 1917 are all included, plus information on which number blocks were allocated to those in action on the First Day of The Somme.
The Sections on the Corps include:
- ASC: All the prefixes shown with their number range are explained and the units employing them are identified.
- Labour Corps. The numbers for the Labour Companies and the Regiments to which they are affiliated plus a table linking regimental numbers and transfer details and dates.
- RAMC: All Territorial re-numberings including refinements to include field ambulances plus notes on number blocks prior to TF renumbering.
- RAOC: Prefixes and number ranges explained.
- Military Police: Notes from Paul Nixon’s blog on dates of enlistment.
- RAVC: Notes on prefixes and numbers.
- RA: Territorial re-numberings. Prefixes explained.
- RE: Notes on all number bands including a refined version of the TF numberings, Tunnelling, Gas and other companies identified as associated with certain number blocks.
- Tank Corps: Origins of personnel revealed plus number blocks to specific battalions.
- Sections on AIF, CEF SA, NZEF. Regimental Numbers.
- An A to Z of Regimental Letter & Number Prefixes, covering all units including Navy and RND.
This 140 page Chapter is the result of 25 years work by the Author. Sources for the information include: Medals from private collections; Medals observed at the major London (and other) auctions; Medal Index Cards; Official Documents; Ebay medal sales; plus information supplied by friends, medal dealers, and collectors etc. The study records not only the abbreviation as it appears on the medal and its interpretation, but also many useful annotations giving further information about the rank or unit. Main contents are:
- British and Commonwealth Unit abbreviations.
- MIC abbreviations [Expanded from Vol I].
- British and Commonwealth Rank abbreviations.
- Rank & Unit abbreviations found on Documents.
- British Naval Rank and Unit abbreviations.
- Relative Ranks Army and Navy.
- Indian Ranks explained.
- Military appointments and ranks.
THIRD CHAPTER [Chapter 8] CORRIGENDA AND ADDENDA FROM VOLUME I
This section includes additional information on the following:
The Wauchope Medal
Flat Back Suspensions on WW1 Stars
The Memorial Plaque additional notes
Manufacture of WWI Medals – a summary
Complete lists of proposed Battle Clasps for both the Army & Navy
Comrades of the Great War magazine
Jutland Medal, Lady Beatty
Annotated DCM Gazettes
Additions to 1.7.16 DCM Roll
Naming issues on Great War medals
also included are some revisions to tables in Vol I plus odd typographical errors corrected.
INDEX: A user friendly Index completes the book.
The Great War Medal Collectors Companion VOLUME III Volume 3 is currently nearing completion and it is anticipated it will be published in time for Christmas.
Contents are as follows:
Army Divisions. Their signs, brief history and a chronological list of the Battles and actions in which they were involved.
Dates British Units landed overseas: includes British Regiments, RE, RAMC, MGC, RA [TF], Cyclist Corps, Tank Corps, etc.
Battle Honours with dates of actions.
Each unit is shown with its Brigade and Division so can be cross referenced with the Chapter on Army Divisions.
The RE Section gives histories of each individual unit plus the battles which each unit was engaged.
Order NOW from Naval and Military Press or direct from the author, below:
PRICE £38.00 plus £6.50 postage and packing to HOWARD WILLIAMSON, 5 HANKIN AVENUE, HARWICH, ESSEX CO12 5HE. Please make CHEQUES PAYABLE TO: MRS ANNE WILLIAMSON. NOTE cheques will NOT be cashed until the book is ready for posting. For general enquiries or for those wishing to collect their book in person email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your instructions.
VOLUME III is nearing completion (see details above). Its expected date of publication is November, 2014. If you are interested in purchasing this Volume please tick the box and you be contacted when it is ready. All profits from the sale of this book will be used towards costs for the production of the Military Medal Roll 1916–1919. Due for publication in 2016.