14 November 2015

Indian Mutiny Medal - Defence of Lucknow

http://www.london-medals.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=13470

Not for the first time, seeing a desirable item appear on a stock list had me thinking, "if only I had [in this case] £1875 to spare..." I would love an Indian Mutiny Medal with the Defence of Lucknow clasp. At this point in time I only possess one IM medal and that's to Colour Sergeant John Keatinge of the 1/8th Foot who has clasps for Lucknow and Defence of Lucknow; a man I have researched quite extensively and who spent many years in India, ultimately dying there in 1872.

But this medal from the London Medal Company Ltd is particularly attractive to me at this point in time because I have just finished reading (again) William Forbes-Mitchell's Reminiscences of the Great Mutiny 1857-9, which must be one of the best, if not the best, Other Rank account of soldiering in Queen Victoria's army; and I am also dipping in and out of A Lady's diary of the Siege of Lucknow.

Father Christmas, if you're listening, I'd like medals this year please, not more socks and after-shave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I'll respond as soon as I'm able to do so.